Are you looking for Cobhams Asuquo biography? If you want to really know more about Cobhams, you’ve reached the right place. We’ve researched every useful information of Cobhams you’d need.
In this article, you’ll not just read about Cobhams Asuquo biography. Here, you’ll find essential details of his career, net worth, personal life and much more!
Who is Cobhams Asuquo?
Cobhams Asuquo is a Nigerian singer, producer and songwriter. Founder of Vintage Gray Media, Cobams had written songs for Sony/ATV UK.
He expressed his bravery and courage towards fulfilling his dreams in so many ways. In this detailed Cobhams Asuquo biography, you’ll get to know about them.
Home & Family
Cobhams Emmanuel Asuquo was born on the 6th of January, 1981. He’s currently 39 years old.
His mother—Gladys Omasiri Asuquo – has no particular occupation. She was once a clerical officer who resigned to dutifully care for her home. Just like many industrious Nigerian women, she engaged in all kinds of trade.
But Cobhams was majorly influenced by his father, though he received support for his career by both parents.
Read Also: Top 5 Richest Doctors In Nigeria And Their Net worth
Cobhams Asuquo attended an elementary school after which he proceeded to Kings College for secondary education. Afterward, he went to Pacelli School for the blind. Yes, the popular Cobhams Asuquo you know today is visually impaired.
Asuquo started out studying law at the University of Lagos, one of the best federal universities in Nigeria. It’s there he realized how much talent he had with music.
Cobhams Asuquo Career
The beginning wasn’t a smooth ride for Cobhams. He had to stand through several storms.
Blind from birth, Asuquo yet sees his visual impairment as an advantage that makes his ears listen more to sounds. Since he couldn’t see, his ears helped him accomplish great things.
He would later attribute his blindness to one of the reasons he grew to love and create music. He loved music from childhood. None of his family members played any musical instrument though, but he had a piano toy he played with. It was a gift from a friend who had noticed his interest in music.
His father’s interest in R&B, Soul, Nigerian, and Caribbean music also impacted his love for music.
When he discovered his talent and love for music, he ditched his dream of becoming a lawyer as an undergraduate at the University of Lagos.
In 2005, Sony/ATV UK publishing signed him as a songwriter. He later worked with Questionmark Entertainment as Head of Audio productions. In 2006, he decided to set up his own recording facility.
In 2008, he started his music production company which he named Cobhams Asuquo Music Production (CAMP) where he worked with Stan Iyke and Bez Idakula.
Read Also: Top 10 Pharmaceutical Companies In Nigeria 2023
In 2016 (after 8 years), Cobhams began an all-around Vintage Gray Media, an entertainment company based in Lekki. Aimed at discovering, nurturing, exposing, and supporting musically talented youngsters, Vintage Gray Media makes audio content for media and business corporations.
The Cobhams Top 12 show on Vintage Gray Media was added recently to its operations. It’s a countdown of newly released music by famous and upcoming artists.
How did Cobhams Asuquo become famous?
Cobhams got international recognition when he produced Asa’s debut album in 2007. He wrote some of the songs including the popular ‘Fire on the Mountain’ and ‘Jailer’.
It was a big break for him which earned him connections with top artists in Nigeria. Besides Asa, he has also worked with several other top Nigerian music artists such as Banky W, Omawumi, Tiwa Savage, and Simi, among others.
Cobhams Asuquo has also composed several popular songs and worked with bands at international music events like:
- The Harare International Festival of Arts
- The AFA Sponsored French Cultural Center Concert (with Asa and Angelique Kidjo)
- AFA Sponsored French Cultural Center Concert – Johannesburg, South Africa
- Nigeria Week – Paris
- The launch of MTV’s one-hundredth channel (MTV Base Africa) – Abuja, Nigeria.
In case you didn’t know, Cobhams had also partaken in playwriting and had written conversational parts for films and stage performances. Here are a few examples:
- A Voice for Ella (Uche Macaulay)
- Sunshine (Alpha Vision)
- Bent Arrows (Isang Awah)
- Communication For Change (Bayelsan Sillhouttes)
Cobhams Asuquo Personal Life
On 2nd December 2010, Cobhams married Ojuolape Veronica Olukaani. They have 2 children.
Cobhams Asuquo Singles
In this session of Cobhams Asuquo biography, we’ll list some of his popular songs.
- Ordinary People (2014)
- Star of Wonder (2015)
- Do The Right Thing feat Bez (2015)
- Ordinary People Video (2015)
- Stronger Than Before sung by Morayo (2015)
- Boosit feat Falz (2016)
- The Other Room feat Ugovinna (2016)
- Adore feat Lauretta Cookey and Fome Peters (2016)
- One Hit (2018)
- We Plenti (2020)
- We Go Win Corona (2020)
For You (2017)
Cobhams Asuquo Net Worth
Cobhams Asuquo’s net worth currently stands at $1 million.
Read Also: Top 10 Richest Women In Nigeria (Their Net worth & Businesses)
Nominations & Awards Won
- The Future Awards for The Producer of The Year (2006)
- Hip Hop World Awards for The Producer of The Year (2007)
- Nigeria Music Awards for Producer of The Decade (2007)
- LEAP Africa Award for his Creativity, Fortitude and Exemplary Leadership in the Music Industry (2007)
- The Partnership Awards for Supporting The Worship For Change Concert (2008)
- Nigerian Music Awards for The Producer of The Decade (2008)
- Hip Hop World Awards for Producer of The Year (2008)
- The Nigerian Award for British Council International Young Music Entrepreneur of The Year (2009)
- The Future Awards Producer of The Year (2009)
- The Headies Recording of The Year Award for the song (Ordinary People 2014)
9 Interesting Quotes By Cobhams Asuquo
- “I don’t think I spend a lot of my time thinking about how my life is different. I think I spend my time living my life, and making things work for me in whatever way I can, and work for other people with disabilities using my voice.”
- “Dear woman, your worth is more than your looks, more than landing a man…”
- “… Above all else, you are a person; a human being first and foremost, with a store of talent, hopes and dreams, valid feelings and desires, and you deserve to be acknowledged and treated with respect on your own merit.”
- “You are beautiful no matter your external appearance, you are talented, you’re stronger than you think.”
- “My major competition is myself and I try to raise my own bar, break my own record and even with it realize it is not my best, I still want to give more.”
- “You do deserve to be loved just as you are, you are worthy, you are more than pretty.”
- “If our elections weren’t important, no one would try to rig it. If we don’t matter, there’d be no campaigns, no bribes, no inducement. We matter…”
- “…Give it time, it will grow.”
- “Disability is not a barrier to voting. I may be blind but full of vision. My perceived visibility makes me uniquely positioned to share in the vision for a better Nigeria.”
Cobhams Asuquo On Social Media
You can connect with Cobhams Asuquo via his social media channels below.
Facebook: Cobhams Asuquo
YouTube: Cobhams Asuquo Official
Cobhams Asuquo biography is a thrilling story of a man born blind. It’s an expression of his unique ability which brought him victory in the music Industry even in his disability. His latest song about Corona is a hit recognized locally and internationally. It’s our hope that you’re inspired by reading this exciting biography of Cobhams Asuquo, the Nigerian music legend.
- Top 10 Best Investment Companies In Nigeria
- Top 10 Best Special Schools In Nigeria
- Complete List Of 9mobile Data Plans And Subscription Codes & Prices